Claiming Full Recoveries for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
Aggressive Delaware Car Accident Lawyers on Your Side
The statistics show that the dangers of drunk driving speak for themselves. Over 10,000 victims lose their lives per year due to the negligence of a drunk driver. In 2016 alone, one person per hour became a casualty of a drunk driving accident, which is scary, tragic, and preventable.
Although convicted drunk drivers face serious consequences when they choose to drive intoxicated, families who lose a loved one, or a victim who suffers from life-changing injuries, endure much more traumatic results. At McCann & Wall, LLC, our Delaware car accident lawyers weigh the circumstances of the accident, and examine every piece of evidence to build the strongest case to recover the monetary damages and justice you deserve.
Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol Leads to Disaster
Despite the wealth of public awareness campaigns that demonstrate how disastrous drunk driving can be, they still fail to deter intoxicated drivers from getting behind the wheel. Even drivers who recognize the risks of drunk driving may not realize how the body is affected by alcohol and how it disrupts their abilities to safely operate a vehicle.
The higher the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) in the imbiber, the more impairment the individual will experience.
In Delaware, it is illegal to drive with a BAC of .08 or greater, due to the increased level of risk for causing a car crash. Drivers may believe that a lower BAC means that the chances decrease. But any level of alcohol in the system may contribute to engaging in a collision.
Following are the physical and mental effects drivers contend with at different BAC levels:
- Blood Alcohol Concentrations Lower Than Legal Limit: Intoxicated drivers may experience lowered judgment, mood changes, and a decline in vision and multitasking skills, which are necessary functions when driving. Once the BAC hits 0.05, drunk drivers may lose their ability to properly steer the car, react when emergencies arise, and track objects such as other vehicles and pedestrians on the road.
- Blood Alcohol Concentrations at the Legal Limit: Once drivers reach a BAC of 0.08, they may find their balance, speech, vision, hearing skills, and their reaction time compromised. Judgment, reasoning, and memory skills are depleted as well, which contributes to a lack of concentration and further impairment when driving.
- Blood Alcohol Concentrations Above the Legal Limit: Any level above the legal limit may lead to potentially lethal situations. Due to a lack of coordination and severely decreased reaction times, drunk drivers may allow the car to drift and fail to brake when necessary. Under the influence, the driver may not possess enough attentiveness or control over their vehicles.
Drunk Driving Accidents Lead to Various Injuries
A drunk driving accident may lead to a varying range of injuries from minor cuts and bruises to catastrophic injuries or even fatalities. Any party involved in this type of crash, including the drunk driver and pedestrians along the road, is vulnerable.
Common injuries may include:
- Broken bones, contusions, and gashes might result when unexpected crashes occur, especially at high-speeds and when alcohol plays a part.
- Injuries involving the spinal cord, head, and neck. Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) or paralysis may develop, which could cause lifelong struggles for the victim.
- Unfortunately, fatalities often accompany an accident with an intoxicated driver. The devastation of losing a loved one may cause the family to face financial burdens; but even worse – overwhelming, debilitating grief.
Delaware Car Accident Lawyers at McCann & Wall, LLC Stand Up for Drunk Driving Accident Victims
Drunk drivers should bear the responsibility when they cause an accident that leaves you or someone you love with serious injuries and accumulating medical expenses. Our Delaware car accident lawyers at McCann & Wall, LLC take pride in the strong reputation we have built in advocating for our car accident clients. Call us today at 302-888-1221 or contact us online to arrange a free consultation. We provide aggressive and compassionate legal representation to clients throughout Delaware including Dover, Middletown, Newark, and Wilmington.