Wilmington Slip And Fall Lawyers
Slip and fall accidents are a leading cause of personal injuries
In a five-year period (2006-2010), nearly half of the people who ended up in Delaware hospitals sustained injuries in accidental falls. Most of them were either very young or age 55 and older. For adults, younger men and older women were most likely to be hospitalized for injuries stemming from unintentional falls. The Wilmington slip and fall lawyers at McCann & Wall, LLC bring a unique blend of skill and experience to cases involving this type of claim.
Common causes of accidental slip and fall injuries
Slip and fall accidents can happen just about anywhere and their causes vary. Outside, people can slip and fall on slick surfaces such as icy sidewalks. Poor lighting, broken sidewalks or pavement, pot holes in parking lots or unmarked hazards also contribute to slip and fall accidents with injuries. People are at just as much or more risk of being hurt in these accidents when they are inside. Some causes of indoor slip and fall accidents are:
- Broken or missing handrails
- Defective carpeting
- Irregular or rutted floorboards
- Loose steps
- Wet floors
- Worn rugs
Slip and fall injuries are often preventable
For every five people who fall, one of them will end up getting seriously hurt. Some typical injuries include broken bones and head injuries. In a worst-case scenario, the fall causes a traumatic brain injury such as a skull fracture or concussion. A number of factors besides those discussed above can heighten your risk for falling. These can include, but are not limited to, certain medical conditions. And while people in specific age groups are more likely to get hurt if they slip or fall, there are some simple things everyone can do to minimize the risks. This is what the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends:
- Consult your primary physician – Because your doctor knows your medical history, he or she can assess your risk for falling and any medications that may increase or contribute to this risk.
- Work out – Getting regular exercise is a great way to strengthen muscles, thereby improving your balance and reducing your chances of being hurt in a slip and fall accident.
- See your eye doctor – If you can’t see properly, you are more likely to slip or trip and fall. Your eye doctor will assess your vision and make necessary adjustments to your existing prescription or order a new one.
- Take matters into your own hands at home – Identify and remove any hazards in your own house. This means eliminating anything that you – or someone else – can trip or slip on, adding lighting and adding appropriate safety devices in places where you or a visitor are likely to slip and fall. Remember to follow all applicable rules regarding the removal of snow and ice on your property, including driveways and sidewalks.
Contact our Experienced Wilmington Slip and Fall Lawyers at McCann & Wall, LLC for a Free Consultation
Sometimes a creative approach is the key to the successful resolution of a slip and fall injury case. At McCann & Wall, LLC our Wilmington personal injury lawyers aren’t afraid to apply innovative ideas in these cases – so call us to schedule your free consultation today. You can contact us online or by calling 302-888-1221 or 215-569-8488. You can also stop by our Wilmington office, located at 300 Delaware Avenue, Suite 805. We represent clients throughout the entire state of Delaware as well as in the states of Pennsylvania and New Jersey.