Compassionate Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers Fight for Victims Injured by Drunk Drivers
Intoxicated drivers are breaking the law and putting innocent victims in harm’s way
Drunk driving is a real danger in the United States, killing more than 10,000 people in alcohol-related accidents each year and causing more than $59 billion in damages annually. The penalties for driving while intoxicated are severe, but unfortunately, so are the accidents that can happen when a drunk driver takes to the road. The Philadelphia car accident lawyers at McCann & Wall, LLC understand the seriousness of drunken driving accidents, and aggressively pursue your claim from initial filing to settlement or court proceedings, to secure the maximum compensation from the guilty driver.
Drinking and driving causes more serious accidents
Drivers who get behind the wheel while intoxicated are seven times more likely to get in an accident than sober drivers. We all know that drunk driving increases the risk of an accident, but understanding why can help prove a drunk driving accident claim. Here are a few of the ways that drunk driving leads to
- Slowed reflexes — Drivers show a clear deterioration in reaction times at about a .10% blood-alcohol content, or BAC. This means they are more likely to hit a pedestrian that steps into the road or a car that slows suddenly in front of them
- Blurred vision — At just .05% BAC, drivers lose small-muscle motor control, including the ability to focus their eyes effectively. This hampers their vision in optimal conditions, and makes it dangerously poor at night or in bad weather
- Impaired judgment — It only takes a .02% BAC for a driver to suffer some loss of judgment, and at .08% BAC, they are fully impaired. Drivers might assume they can make a maneuver or stop fast enough when they really can’t, or they might underestimate dangerous driving conditions
Common injuries in drunk driving accidents are serious
Any car accident can be devastating, but because of a drunk driver’s impaired state, the results can be much worse. High speeds, erratic steering and head-on collisions can cause severe injuries or fatalities. Common drunk driving injuries include:
- Whiplash — When a driver fails to stop, a rear-end collision can whip your head forward causing severe strain on your neck and spine
- Concussion — Any kind of collision can send your head crashing into the steering wheel, dashboard or windows, causing brain injuries that may impair your thinking or increase your risk of more severe injuries in the future
- Broken bones, spinal injuries and paralysis — Pedestrians who are hit by drunk drivers or other drivers involved in a high-speed collision can break limbs in an accident. Depending on the accident, you may also have severe spinal damage, leading to chronic pain or loss of motor function in one or more limbs
- Death — In the worst accidents, the injuries can be so traumatic that a pedestrian, driver or passenger dies. In these cases, the family is entitled to compensation for their pain and suffering
If a Drunk Driver has Injured you or Killed a Loved One, Contact the Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers at McCann & Wall, LLC
At McCann & Wall,LLC, Philadelphia personal injury lawyers have more than 26 years combined experience fighting on behalf of injured clients. We’ll make sure that the drunk driver is held responsible for the full damages owed to you. Representing clients throughout Delaware and Pennsylvaina, including Philadelphia, Delaware County and Chester County. Call us at 215-569-8488, or 302-888-1221, or contact us online. Our offices are conveniently located across the street from City Hall, a short distance from the train, subway and trolley. Or if you can’t come to us, we’ll come to you.