The First Steps After a Car Accident Are Critical to a Successful Claim
Skilled Delaware Car Accident Lawyers On Your Side
Anyone who has ever been involved in a serious car accident surely remembers the shock and confusion they experienced in those first few minutes after impact. Compounding those emotions are the devastating injuries many will suffer during a crash.
After you have gathered your bearings and taken a deep breath, there are some important first steps to take after an accident to protect not only yourself and your passengers, but any potential claim you may bring related to your crash.
Steps to Take after a Car Accident
- Stay put: Under no circumstances should you ever leave the scene of an accident, especially a serious one. If you leave an accident where someone has been hurt or killed, you can be charged as a hit-and-run driver.
- Check on everyone involved: Assess the scene to determine if anyone has been hurt. Seek immediate medical attention for individuals with severe injuries. Never attempt to move victims with head, neck, or spine injuries.
- Call for help: For serious crashes, call 911 for police and medical assistance. In the case of minor car accidents, call the non-emergency police line for help.
- Move to safety: If it is safe to do so and your vehicle is drivable, move it out of the way of traffic. Engage your hazard lights or flares to alert oncoming vehicles of the accident scene.
- Document the scene: Take pictures of the accident scene including debris and damage to vehicles or other property.
- Do not admit guilt: You can assist victims and express concern, but it is important never to admit fault for a crash. Such admissions can be used in court and can jeopardize any future claim.
- Exchange information: Give your insurance information to any other drivers involved in the crash; be sure to take theirs as well.
- Call your insurance company: Report your accident as soon as possible. Report the date and time of your crash in addition to the location where the accident occurred. Keep in mind that anything you say can be used to deny your claim. For serious accidents, contact an attorney before making any statements to an insurance adjuster.
- Accept medical attention: Because some head, neck, and back soft tissue injures are not always immediately apparent, it is always a good idea to be checked out by a healthcare professional after a car accident. Follow your doctor’s instructions for care and keep all medical bills and records for future reference.
- Contact a car accident lawyer: If you have cause to bring a claim against the careless or negligent driver who caused your car accident injuries, schedule a consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Do not agree to any settlement without speaking with your attorney first.
Anyone who has been injured in a serious motor vehicle accident knows that beyond the emotional and physical trauma left behind, victims often experience a significant financial impact as well. The costs of doctors’ visits, hospitalizations, surgery, and physical therapy combined with the loss of income if your injuries prevent you from working can be devastating on a family’s finances. Personal injury lawsuits offer some form of financial compensation for these losses.
Choosing a Car Accident Lawyer
Choosing the right car accident lawyer to take on your case can be confusing. To find the right one for you, look for a personal injury attorney:
- Who has extensive experience tackling complex car accident claims
- Who takes the time to explain your options and answer your questions
- Who works with a firm offering free initial case consultations
- Who is committed to achieving the best resolution possible for every client
- Who gathers all the information related to your case to prove your claim
- Who keeps you updated on the latest developments related to your case
- Who makes you feel at ease and shows they value your time
During your initial case review, you can expect to share the details of your accident with your lawyer. After considering your case, he or she will explain all of the legal remedies available to you and offer their recommendation for moving forward.
Delaware Car Accident Lawyers at McCann & Wall, LLC Fight for Victims Hurt by Negligent Drivers
The seasoned Delaware car accident lawyers at McCann & Wall, LLC have obtained numerous multi-million dollar settlements for their clients involved in serious car accidents and other personal injury matters. Put that experience behind your case. To get started today, call 302-888-1221 or 215-569-8488 or contact us online today to schedule your free initial case consultation.
We are proud to serve clients throughout the region from our offices in Center City Philadelphia, Abington and Media, Pennsylvania, Haddonfield, New Jersey, and Wilmington, Delaware.