Common Causes of Car Accidents
Many drivers assume that car accidents are inevitable, but with attention to safety details, many car accidents can be prevented. Car accidents are unpredictable but being aware of the common causes can help drivers reduce the likelihood of being involved in an accident. Some of the most common causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted Driving: Distracted driving is the leading cause of car accidents, and the most preventable. Cell phone use, onboard navigation systems, infotainment apps, and passenger distractions cause drivers to take their eyes off the road for just a few seconds, which is often just enough time to crash into another vehicle. Eating, drinking, reaching for objects, and dealing with passengers in the car are also forms of distracted driving.
- Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported close to 11,000 deaths from drunk driving accidents in 2017, which accounted for 29 percent of all fatal car accidents that year. Prescription medications, marijuana, narcotics, and even over-the-counter medications can also cause serious impairment, making a driver’s reaction time, mental alertness, and focus significantly impaired.
- Drowsy Driving: Drivers that are fatigued can have slow reaction times, lack of focus, and an increased danger of falling asleep behind the wheel. Catastrophic car accidents are often caused by drivers that operate their vehicles on too little sleep. Pulling over to the side of the road or delaying a trip can significantly reduce the likelihood for this type of car accident.
- Speeding and Reckless Driving: Speed limits, traffic lights, and road signs keep traffic flowing safely and efficiently. Drivers that ignore these laws and choose to speed or drive in a reckless manner put everyone on the road in danger of serious and often fatal car accidents. Drivers that exceed mandated speed limits, fail to obey traffic lights and stop signs, or drive in an aggressive or careless manner take the lives of thousands of people each year.
- Inclement Weather and Night Driving: Rain, snow, sleet, hail, ice, and darkness all affect a driver’s ability to see clearly. Cars often lose control in these conditions, causing them to collide with other vehicles, slide off the road, or drive into oncoming traffic. Drivers traveling in these weather conditions or at night need to remain alert and focused to avoid an accident.
- Tailgating: When a driver follows another vehicle too closely, they often do not have enough time to stop or swerve to avoid rear-ending the vehicle in front of them. Keeping a safe distance between cars is imperative to prevent these types of car accidents.
- Tire Blowouts and Mechanical Failure: All drivers have a legal responsibility to ensure their cars are routinely inspected and maintained. Tires with slow leaks and worn treads are likely to experience a blowout on the road, which can cause the driver to lose control. Mechanical failures, such as worn brakes, transmission problems, and manufacturer defects can also cause serious accidents.
- Road Construction: Work zones on major highways and interstates are high accident areas. Construction vehicles exiting the site, irregular traffic patterns, poor lighting, and speeding drivers can result in horrific car accidents. Fines for violating speed limits or failing to obey traffic signs in a construction work zone are often doubled across the country.
- Unexpected Hazards: We cannot always control the unexpected, but being vigilant while driving can help drivers react and avoid a collision that can occur from sudden animal crossings, pot holes, pedestrians darting into the road, and debris that may appear in their path. Being focused on the road in front and traveling within mandated speed limits allow drivers the time needed to avoid the unexpected.
Delaware Car Accident Lawyers at McCann & Wall, LLC Help Injured Car Accident Victims Claim Compensation
If you were injured in an automobile accident, call the Delaware car accident lawyers at McCann & Wall, LLC. We will fight to obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Call us at 302-888-1221 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation today. Located in Wilmington, Delaware, we serve clients throughout the state, including Dover, Middletown, and Newark.